- 310,000 and 580,000 tobacco (note I think changing tobacco to airborne pollutants of the sub 10 micron size would be more truthful)
- 260,000 to 470,000 poor diet and sedentary lifestyle
- 200,000 botched procedures, mis-prescribed drugs and "nosocomial infections.
- 75,000 Microbial Agents" (read bugs like flu and pneumonia)
- 55,000 Toxic Agents
- 42,000 of us will cash our chips in our rides this year. More than half will do so because we didn't wear a seat belt.
- 31,000 of us will commit suicide by intention
- 30,000 of us will die due to our sexual behaviors, through which we'll contract AIDS or Hepatitis C. Another 20,000 of us will pop off due to illicit drug use.
- 16,000 Americans will be murdered this year, most often by a relative or friend.
- 7,600 acetaminophen or aspirin.
- 5,500 occupational trauma
- 5,200 foodborne agents
- 4,000 will drown
- 50 – 100 per year peanut allergies
Imagine, then, what might happen if we simply quit listening to the scaremongers and those who profit from our paranoia. Imagine what the world could look like if we made a conscious choice to live out whatever time we have with courage, compassion, service and joy. Terrorism is an act of the weak. But so is walking through the airport in our socks.
We can make better choices.